Home Learning Support – Year 5
In the event of a school closure or self-isolation, we would like to support your children whilst they are working at home. If possible, try to encourage your child to spend time on a range of different activities covering the main priorities of maths, reading, SPAG (spelling, punctuation and grammar), writing and science.
We encourage children to do try their best on as much of the work as they can manage. We are aware of how difficult this might be and have included more than is needed to provide children with choices on what interests them.
Work should be completed as much as possible in the PURPLE exercise book provided. If using a worksheet to complete work please put the title of the sheet at the top of the page. If something can be completed on the sheet/booklet, please do to save paper.
Work that is included in the home learning packs are:
- Maths/English/Grammar – home learning packs,
- Reading comprehension sheets
- Statutory Spellings for Year 5/6
- Statutory Spellings for Year 3/4
- First 200 High Frequency Words
- Some examples of Science Experiments linking to our current topic of Forces.
Reading for pleasure is paramount! Time should be set aside for reading at length. If possible read together (with adults and to siblings if possible), asking questions, making predictions and discussing texts. We would be happy for children to also read books from home. Please record in the PURPLE exercise book given.
Children have been given their log ins for:
- ttrockstars.com – timetable and division practise.
- https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button - practise square number, times tables, number bonds
COPIES OF ALL WORKSHEETS CAN BE DOWNLOADED BELOW
Websites we are useful at this time include:
- Write diary of your journey to your planet that we created in school.
- Write letter to members of the class (if you send them to me via Classdojo we can share them around to everyone and keep everyone cheerier.
- Write a letter and send it to an elderly relative, an elderly neighbour or someone who is in self-isolation.
- http://www.pobble365.com/ - write stories from the pictures
- Create a set of instructions on how to make a cake or biscuits.
- Write a newspaper report of your triumphant journey to a new planet
- Write a review a review on a book you have read.
- Record a review on a book you have read – if you send it to me I will put it on our Dojo
- Joe Wicks (The Body Coach) has free exercise workouts on Youtube.
- Yoga tutorials/videos on Youtube.
- Create a home workout/circuit for the people in your house.
- Go for a short walk if permitted.
- Help/support somebody in need. Support family and friends in isolation by ringing regularly/face time.
- Learn to cook 2 teas/snacks
- Learn to cook 2 cakes/biscuits.
- Learn to play a new board game… create your own!
- With an adult, learn how to sew on a button; change a zip; hem your pants; fix holes in clothes.
- With an adult, learn how to check the oil in a car or refill the windscreen wash
- With an adult, learn how to do washing
- With an adult, learn about to pay a bill/budget using real life examples
- Help and clean around the house.
- Practise playing an instrument if you have any available.
- Board games
- Colouring, meditation (lots on YouTube to follow!!)
- Gardening (if permitted)